The process of applying for a job usually requires some form of writing. writing a job application letter could be completing an application form, or writing a resume.
Employers require written applications so that they can compare and screen the many people who apply for a job. A short list of applicants can then be determined, so that only a few applicants are then interviewed. Therefore your letter, application form and resume need to be prepared with great care.
Before writing a job application letter, find out as much as you can about the employer and the possible job.
For example, you can contact the recruiting person to ask questions about what they are looking for. Knowledge about the employer and the job can help you write the letter so that it suits the situation, as you could include particular experiences you have had which are relevant to the specific job. Put something of your own personality into the letter. If the letter is completely standard, the employer may not be able to distinguish you from the rest of the applicants. You may need to change your letter a little to suit each employer, but the effort is worth it. Keep copies of all letters you send and any answers you receive in a special job application folder.
writing a job application letter should include the following:
- Your address and the date
- The name and address of the business to which you are applying
- Dear Sir/Madam (or address the letter to a particular person if you can identify the appropriate person)
- The name of the position and where you saw it advertised. In a canvassing letter, state that you are inquiring about job opportunities
- Something about yourself and why you are applying for the job. State why you believe you would be good in this job. Point out how your qualifications, abilities and experience will enable you to do the job well
- A reference to your resume and any other copies of documentation that you are required to provide. Send copies only. Always keep the originals in your folder
- A concluding sentence referring to your availability for an interview, and give a telephone number where you can be contacted easily
- A formal ending. If your letter is addressed to a person by name, your letter should end ‘Yours sincerely’. If your letter starts with ‘Dear Sir/Madam’, end it with ‘Yours faithfully’.
- Finish with your signature and your name printed below. All of the following are important features of a letter:
- Good quality A4 sized paper
- Setting out and overall appearance of the letter
- Neatness of handwriting or typing (if you are required to apply in writing, it probably means handwriting)
- Good choice of language (e.g. not too personal)
- Correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.
You can view sample writing a job application letter to get for effective layout as well as content at Job Application Letter